The Portland Fire Department accepts employment applications when it is determined that an eligibility list must be generated (usually annually). Information and applications will be posted when the application period is open. Application Period: Closed.
1) Applications are accepted. Interested individuals may obtain an application from the Human Resources Department 389 Congress Street Room 115 Portland, Maine 04101 only when applications are being accepted.
2) Applicants that meet or exceed the posted criteria are notified of the scheduled date, time and location of the entrance examination.The entrance exam is administered by City of Portland Human Resources and Fire Department staff. Development and scoring of the examination is the responsibility of I/O Solutions, an independent contractor to the City of Portland.
3) Applicants are notified of their score and notified of the scheduling of the Candidate Physical Aptitude Test (CPAT).
More information about the CPAT test can be found HERE.
4) Applicants meeting the established requirements of the written and CPAT examinations are scheduled for an interview.
Interviews are conducted at Central Fire Station at 380 Congress St. Portland Maine. Interviews are scheduled on a first come first serve basis. The interview panel consists of members of the Portland Fire Department administration, a representative of the Civil Service Commission, and a representative of Portland Professional Firefighters Union.
5) An eligibility list is created.
Candidates will be notified if they are selected to continue the hiring process which includes a medical exam, job suitability assessment and an extensive background check.
If selected, candidates are then placed in a multi-week Fire Academy where they are trained in basic and advanced firefighting and emergency medical services techniques.
Candidates are "probational firefighters" for a period of one year after date of hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer The City of Portland is strongly committed to diversity in its work force. We are an affirmative action / equal employment opportunity employer.