Fore Street - Eastern Promenade Sewer Separation Project
Fore Street Closed to Local Traffic Only from Hancock to St. Lawrence Streets as Part of Storm Water Construction Project
PORTLAND, Maine -- Beginning on Monday, November 29, 2021, the City’s contractor, Gorham Sand and Gravel will be permitted to close Fore Street to local traffic only from Hancock Street to St. Lawrence Street for five weeks, during working hours, in order to allow the contractor to safely install new storm drains and sewer pipes in the narrowest section of the roadway.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR MOTORISTS: Once the road closure has been implemented, it will remain in place for approximately five weeks. Motorists are urged to use the specified detour route via India Street, Congress Street and Atlantic Street or to seek an alternate route to get around the work zone. Motorists will be able to access local businesses and residences between Hancock Street and Freedom Way during this period of time. No through access towards the Eastern Promenade will be allowed during working hours (7am-5pm) on a daily basis except for emergency vehicles. Fore Street in the Westbound direction towards the Old Port will remain closed and drivers should continue by-passing the work zone via St. Lawrence.
Project Update 10/14/21
Starting on 10/18/21 the Contractor will shut down the 100 Fore Street Facility entrance located on Freedom Way for 3 weeks. Tenants can access the facility by using the parking garage entrance on Fore Street located just before the intersection with Mountfort Street. Tenants can also access the Freedom Way parking garage entrances via Thames Street Extension.
- The contractor has completed phase 1 of the project's watermain renewal work. The watermain has passed pressure and bacteria testing and has been brought online by the contractor.
- The phase 1 watermain work included the installation of 1,200 linear feet of 12" ductile iron watermain
- The contractor will begin storm drain work at Freedom Way on 10/18. Once the storm drain work begins it will last for several months moving up the hill.
Project Update for Week Ending 9/3/21
On August 16, 2021 the project contractor Gorham Sand and Gravel mobilized to the project site and converted Fore Street into a one-way street with traffic flow still allowed to move easterly towards the Eastern Promenade. Utility construction has begun with the installation of 12" ductile Iron watermain for the Portland Water District. As of 9/3/21, the contractor has installed approximately 430 linear feet of watermain between Mountfort Street and Waterville Street.
Project Outlook for Week Ending 9/10/21
The project traffic pattern will remain with one-way traffic flow allowed on the south side of Fore Street towards the Eastern Promenade. Westbound traffic shall continue to use the specified detour route or be asked to find another route around the work zone. The contractor will continue to install 12" watermain up the hill towards Waterville Street. Phase 1 watermain work from Mountfort to Waterville Street is scheduled to conclude on 9/24/21.
Start of Construction Notification:
This project has received funding approval as part of the Water Resources Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). A target date of April 1, 2021 has been established to advertise the project for bidding. If the project is successfully bid and awarded to the low bid contractor then it's anticipated the project will start around June 1, 2021.
- Fore SD 2021-08-09 Neighborhood Meeting Presentation-with updated schedule for the website
- Fore St SD 2021-02-24 Facts Sheet update
- Fore St SD 2020-01-21 Neighborhood Questionaire
- Fore St SD 2020-01-21 Neighborhood Meeting Notice
- Fore Street 2020-01-21 Neighborhood Meeting Map
- Fore Street SD 2020-07-17 100pct Design Plans